Threadbenders Quilt Shop

Threadbenders Quilt Shop
Threadbenders Quilt Shop

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Your First Quilt

Jane Hunt's cat quilt
Do you remember your first quilt? I don't know anyone who doesn't. A quilter might remember their first log cabin or their first free motion quilting effort. But we all remember our first quilt.

The joy of picking out fabrics and colors. The astonishment as they went together. The ripping of a seam not quite right. The moment when you lay it out to baste the back. It's a magic thing.

It's also a bit embarrassing. There's just so much you don't know.  You either ask for help or you don't. I didn't. God help me for the clueless thing I was, I made a king size log cabin with 5 applique blocks in the center. I also used two bats and a corduroy back, so it could only be tied in the end. It was too warm to use except if the heat cut out. But it was my first quilt. For the hundreds of quilts I've made since then, it was the first step into a world I've loved all my life.

June Baker's leaf quilt

I often hear people who say something like, "This is my first quilt. It's not very good. Please don't take a picture. I'm so embarrassed."

What they're too new in quilting to know is how marvelous that first quilt is. It's a step out into a brand new world of self expression. It's the beginning of a new way to comfort others and ourselves. It's the induction into a world of other women who have helped each other for ever, because it's what we do. Good and bad are irrelevant because if we do anything enough we'll get better at it. But it never happens if you don't start.

Anita Miller's baby quilt
We love it at Threadbenders when a new quilter comes in and asks us to help with their first quilt. It's a privilege to help someone start on a path of creation and joy. It's something we treasure with you. And we won't tell where the boo boos are, unless you do. We have a big work table open at all times and you can come in and work on your quilt with us.  We're right here for you. If it's not your first quilt that's fine too. We all help each other in between the giggling.
So with that said, here are some of the quilts our ladies have been making. They are awesome!
Nancy Mehan's first quilt!

This is Nancy Mehan's  first quilt. She sat with us and made it with the prettiest jelly roll and it is  really pretty. And we are so proud for her.


No comments:

Post a Comment